Sunday, February 24, 2008

In a tin can


Planes, trains and automobiles...I'll have to say travel is a sport in itself. California spends $76M to subsidize the amtrak intercity routes in the state. If the workers are rude , thats just CA. but those trains do run on time. I took Amtrak oiut of Merced and stopped in Stockton CA. From Stockton I took a bus transfer to the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station (Bay area Rapid Transit System). 10 minutes there and I caught the BART to Balboa Park transfer point getting on another BART that carried me to the San Francisco Airport International terminal. You walk in and check in for my flight to the Philippines.
As you can see here I am in my allocated 23 1/2" of space aboard FLT PR 105 to Manila. I got an exit row with almost 5' of space infront of me. Take off at 9:00pm and shortly thereafter I decided to use the floor space for a bed.
Wouldn't you know that as soon as I was asleep I get prodded by a flight attendant.... I 'm sorry sir, but we must keep this area clear in case of emergency, you must sleep in your seat. I reminded her that I was making sure that the door would be opened in the case of an emergency and assured her if something were to happen I would be sure to clear the space... well the seat it was
We had a 12 hour flight and landed in Guam to refuel for an hour and then another 3 hours to Manila. 16 hours on that plane with little or no sleep.

No comments: